Removing stuck-on food
Adding ingredients to a cast iron pan that is not properly preheated is a major cause for uneven, rough food residue to stick to the bottom. To easily remove stuck-on food, follow the steps below.
1. Add enough water to cover the stuck-on food and entire base of the pan. Add 1 tablespoon of baking soda and boil for a few minutes on medium heat.
2. Remove the food residue with a wooden spatula as it begins to loosen.
3. Drain and gently scrub the pan with a sponge and mild dish soap.
- If you're short on time, simply filling the pan with enough water to cover the stuck-on food and leaving it to soak will help loosen the food.
- Do not use abrasive cleaning agents and/or scrubbing pads (metal brushes, scouring pads, etc.) to clean the pan, as these may damage the enamel coating.
- Be sure to keep an eye on the pan so the water does not boil over.
- Avoid heating an empty pan for an extended period of time.